Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Catering To Students With Special Needs: Technology for Social and Emotional Development

This is the third installment in the series about catering to students with special needs. This post includes products that will help children in need gain social and emotional skills necessary for every day life. Kids with a wide variety of disabilities and challenges suffer from a lack of social and emotional skills, which makes these products a priceless addition to the classroom.

Feelings Wheel
https://skinnurse.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/the-pie-approach-to-helping-kids-manage-emotions/

How it should be introduced to and used by the child in need:
This low-tech item has been used often to help children express their emotions. Children benefit greatly from being able to communicate how they feel, and teachers benefit from being able to understand the needs of the children. The feelings wheel should be used by the teacher first. I would spin the wheel to reveal different emotions and say to the student, “I am feeling happy today because I get to be with all my students today. How do you feel?” I would give the wheel to the child and let them choose how they feel. I would then comment on their choice and depending on whether or not the child was verbal, I would ask them to explain why they are feeling that particular emotion.

How it should be introduced to other children:
I would like to have an emotions unit in my class to involve all of the children. I would teach the children different ways to express emotions, such as their facial expressions, their words, and the feelings wheel. It’s a good idea to let the children know that the feelings wheel is available to them if they feel I am not understanding their emotions. I think the feelings wheel is a great tool for all my kids to use when they are having a hard time using their words, but I would make sure the child in need always has a feelings wheel to express their emotions more effectively.

Goals for the child’s use of technology:
The goal for the feelings wheel is that I can communicate with the child in need in an effective manner that helps the child have their needs met. I don’t want the child to feel ignored, and it is often hard to guess the needs of a child who is upset. I want the child to feel like they can come to me and tell me how they are feeling. We want children to be able to process their emotions, identify their feelings, and then express those feelings in a safe and appropriate manner.

How the child’s development will be assessed:
I will assess the child’s emotional development by measuring tantrums. I am hoping that the feelings wheel will decrease meltdowns because the child has learned to express their emotions in other ways besides breaking down. I will know that the feelings wheel is helping the child when the child can come to me, show me the emotion they are feeling, and let me help them work through that emotion if needed.



“How Would You Feel If...” App
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/how-would-you-feel-if-.../id459752073?mt=8

How it should be introduced to and used by the child in need:
I would model how to play the game “How Would You Feel If...” and then invite the child to play. The app has flashcards that ask how the player would feel in a certain situation. I would pick a flashcard, like, “how would you feel if you got lost in the mall?” I would tell the child I would feel scared because I wouldn’t know how to find my way back home. I would then invite the child to pick a flashcard and share how they would feel in that situation.

How it should be introduced to other children:
I think this app will be best played with an adult in a small group or one-on-one. I would explain to the other children not playing the app that the child or children in need are doing a lesson, and I would not mention the fact that it is on the iPad. I would tell the other children that everyone needs to respect their space while they learn a lesson. Then, I would involve the other children in their own activity.

Goals for the child’s use of technology:
One of the goals for using this app would be to help the child in need become more familiar with social situations. By working out the emotions ahead of time, if they do get lost in a mall, for example, they are familiar with how they feel and what they should do about it. I would help the child find solutions to the problems on the cards so when they come across social situations, I hope it would be easier for the child in need to react appropriately.

How the child’s development will be assessed:
This app includes many social situations found outside of the classroom, and so this would be a good time to conduct a parent survey. I would ask the parent of the child in need how the child reacts in social situations, and tell me if the child is shy, unsure, loud, or hyper. After a number of lessons using the flashcards, I would reevaluate the child by having the parent repeat the survey and see if there is any improvement in the child’s social skills as well as if they react appropriately with emotions that match the situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment